Wednesday 13 November 2013

Week 11

Unfortunately i was sick on the monday of week 11 which meant i missed all of my creative arts lectures and workshops as they all occur on the monday!

Below is my medical certificate:





I did try to take some photographs of street art in my local neighborhood throughout the week though so as to at least have some kind of art experience for the week.











This last photograph is particularly poignant to me as it refers to the death of T.J Hickey a then 17 year old Aboriginal youth, who's death allegedly came about as a direct result of a police pursuit sparking the 2004 Redfern riots.
In my future profession as a primary teacher i will undoubtedly be dealing with students from a myriad of cultural backgrounds including students of Aboriginal descent.
For instance it pays to know of the importance of story sharing as one of the eight ways of aboriginal learning (Yunkaporta & Kirby, 2011, p. 207).
As such i need to be aware of the differences in each of the different cultures i might encounter and adjust my teaching practice accordingly in order to implement optimal learning opportunities for each and every single one of my students.



References:

Yunkaporta, T., & Kirby, M. (2011). Yarning up Indigenous pedagogies: A dialogue about eight Aboriginal ways of learning. In N. Purdie, G. Milgate & H. R. Bell (Eds.), Two way Teaching and Learning. Towards culturally reflective and relevant education (pp. 205-214). Melbourne ACER


No comments:

Post a Comment